Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Cut in Cancer Funding!

I loved my trip to DC, had a great time learning how to be an advocate then putting my skills to work. I got within a few feet of Lance Armstrong, but didn't shake his hand. I did get a good picture though! Apparently, I didn't do a good enough job of advocating, I got this message in my LAF Advocacy Newsletter today:
House Committee Votes to Cut Cancer Funding

On June 13, the House Appropriations Committee passed the spending bill that will fund federal cancer programs next year. Unfortunately, the bill carries forward the cuts from the Administration's budget with a $39 million cut at the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and additional cuts for cancer programs at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

This year, the NCI is working under its first funding cut in more than a decade. If the cuts proposed in the House spending bill are approved, it will be the first time in more than 20 years the budget has been cut two consecutive years. Additionally, already under-funded programs that have been proven to be effective in detecting and treating cancer at the CDC are slated to receive cuts. Progress has been made in the fight against cancer, in large part due to our nation's cancer research, prevention and treatment programs. Continuing progress requires a sustained commitment of federal resources.

To be successful, we cannot afford to scale back our efforts in this fight. Please contact your Representative and Senators and urge them to oppose any legislation that fails to provide meaningful increases for cancer research and programs.

I urge you to write to your Senators and Representative and help fix this! Click on the link above and just type in your address. The computer will send emails to the correct people. Cancer is a disease that we can cure...the vaccine for Cervical Cancer is wonderful! It is the first step of many to a cure for ALL cancers. Let's do this, I will be in my Representative's and Senators' faces until this is cured. Let's fight this together!

No comments: