Monday, September 18, 2006

Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's to the Hill I go!

I'm off to Celebration on the Hill! I am looking forward to this experience and opportunity to meet with the legislative aides, Senators Dole and Burr, and Congressman Jones. We are hoping to make a huge impact and have Congress put cancer research and cancer related issues back at the top of their list.

There are many Americans in an uproar about all the deaths caused by the current conflict. Here's a fact: As many Americans die in 2 days from cancer as the number of people who died on 9/11. I'm not justifying the deaths caused by this war or supporting it, that is a separate topic and post.

Cancer is killing Americans on our own soil, and it isn't picky. Cancer attacks children, mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, Supreme Court Justices, athletes, doctors, writers, CEOs. It doesn't care how much money you have, what religion you practice, what race you are. Cancer creeps into your life when you least expect and takes over your body, life, and mind. One in three people will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime (I'm pretty sure the war casualties do not amount to this). Cancer is a killer that we can stop.

So what is Congress doing about this? Cutting funds for research and trying to eliminate guaranteed insurance coverage for cancer screenings (such as mammograms, colonoscopies, pap smears). I don't need to tell you how I feel, you already know. So let's stop this killer for once and all.

2 comments:

ian said...

You're great sweety..I'm really proud of the all the cancer advocacy and awareness projects that you are part of. You are an inspiration to me and I'm sure to many others. I LOVE YOU!!!

Anonymous said...

Go for it! Keep up the fine advocacy! We'll help by caring for Jack!!! He's a sweety. Prudentone