Tuesday, October 31, 2006

3 Words

Cancer sucks. That's all there is to it. No matter what side you are on, it's painful. Everything about cancer is painful, emotional, and horrible. Does a Survivor come out stronger on the otherside? Most times, yes, but it is a pretty awful way to gain strength.

I just spent a weekend with about 700 Survivors and Advocates of cancer at the LIVESTRONG Summit. It was an emotional and incredible weekend...awesome keynote speakers, fantastic roundtable discussions, and wonderful friends. I was able to meet many other yound adult Surviviors, and 3 other Thycans! All 4 of us were diagnosed around the same age and were not a normal case. It was so comforting to meet these lovely women, we all feel as though we are friends for life. I am pretty sure every delegate left the Summit feeling super-empowered and ready to take on this war against cancer, the biggest terrorist of all.

My empowerment practically came to a screaching halt when I returned a phone call from my doctor on the way home from the airport. I heard those 3 heart stopping words once again, "You have cancer." After a little "woe is me" time, I am on the warpath and ready to go. I've got a CT scan to see if it is just this one lymph node involved or more. Surgery is mid-November, and yes, my husband is coming home.

There's no way after the being at the Summit I can sit back and let this happen to me (not that I did that before). I am involved, I will not let this disease rule my life. As I heard so many times at the Summit:

Unity is strength, knowledge is power, and attitude is everything.

1 comment:

AV said...

Keep up the fight! You are a wonderful brave young lady. We are praying for you. (Romans 8:28)