Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Hokie at Heart

I still can't wrap my head around the tragedy at Virginia Tech. I keep thinking of that peaceful campus nestled in the beautiful mountains of southwest Virginia. I see the distinctive Hokie Stone buildings, rolling hills, blossoming dogwoods, co-eds flashing Chicago maroon and burnt orange. A madman on the loose is not part of that scene.

I attended VT my first year of school before transferring to Winthrop. Even though I left, I am a Hokie at heart. I lived half an hour from Blacksburg and spent many track meets during high school and college on that campus. I lived in the dorm next to West AJ (and would visit friends there frequently), I walked by Norris Hall everyday on my way to McBryde for class. It was 10 years ago, but I remember the crisp evening air like it was last night. That campus was so safe. I had a night class that I always felt safe walking to and from in the dark. Seeing the familiar sites on the news has ripped at my heart.

I can't even begin to imagine how the students are feeling. I know how sad I am, and know that the students must have a million times more grief. My prayers have been going out to the families of those that were killed and to the entire Hokie community. I know that Virginia Tech will heal, the campus will feel safe once again. April 16th will never be forgotten, and neither will those lives that were lost.

2 comments:

Third Mom said...

Thank you so much for remembering Virginia Tech. I'm so, so sad that you memories of this beautiful place must now include this horrific event.

I think Nikki Giovanni said is best:

We will prevail.

You and everyone close to Tech is in my heart and prayers.

Mommavia said...

Nikki Giovanni did have some amazing things to say. I think her poem at the convocation is really going to get people through.