Tuesday, May 08, 2007

1 in 5 = No Good

In less than a week I will be in our Nation's Capital preparing to speak with my Senators and Congressman. I am super excited about this trip, as this is my 3rd visit to DC for the purposes of Cancer Advocacy in the last year. With each visit, I feel that I am becoming more adamant about the issue. LIVESTRONG Day 2007 will hopefully bring some change to where money is spent. It's time to put an end to this disease.

Cancer has been in the news a lot recently, and even on the cover of Newsweek. Elizabeth Edwards with her recurrence (every cancer Survivor's nightmare), Juanita Millender-McDonald (a Congresswoman from Southern California) who died from cancer, and Discovery Channel aired "Living with Cancer". But it's still not enough. President Bush recently signed a bill to reauthorize the National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program. This program provides these early cancer screenings to uninsured and low-income women. That is great, the program is great.

But only 1 in 5 women will receive care. That is how much current funding levels allow. I'm sorry, but that is not acceptable. I'm pretty sure Congress wouldn't allow 20% of their family to go through life without these life-saving screening. So why should these women suffer?

No comments: