Wednesday, June 13, 2007

9 Down, 3 To Go

In the last week, we have been in 9 different states: North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. I feel like a truck driver with all this driving! I'm pretty sure today is Wednesday, but I have no idea what time my body thinks it is, or what time it's supposed to be right now. All I know is that when we are in San Diego it will be Sunday, and Father's Day!

Jack has been such a trooper in the car, of course episodes of "Curious George & Friends" helps! Every so often we will point out a big truck, digger, train, or another interesting thing to him. We bought him a few new books and will pull out new toys every so often to keep him busy. I am amazed at how well he has done, and how well Sandie has done too. We've been trying to make frequent stops so we can all stretch our legs, but it's been so hot at most of our stops that it's not much of a break.

We had a great visit in Georgia with my family and drove to Arkansas for a night. We met Genderist and The Hater in our Oklahoma stop for dinner. They were kind enough to bring it to our hotel in the midst of a move themselves! It was fun to swap stories about moving and how much the process sucks, and talk about how much we all hate cancer, specifically thyroid cancer. It was very nice to catch with with Genderist since seeing her at the Summit in Austin last Fall.

We are now in Amarillo, TX, visiting with old friends of Ian's from his first enlistment. I have talked with him and his wife several times on the phone during deployments and feel like I've known them forever. They have four children ages 7, 5, 3, and 6 weeks. Jack has had so much fun playing with them, and has enjoyed following around the 5 year old, who in turn has enjoyed giving Jack new experiences. The kids have helped Jack explore the outdoors even more by digging for worms, rolly-pollies, snails, and whatever other goodies they can find. Ian is out with Mike tonight on a ride along and is having a blast playing police officer. I have enjoyed visiting with Delonda and seeing Jack play with their wonderful children.

Jack is starting to understand the move! Throughout this whole process I have been prepping him for what is next (people are going to come and put all our stuff into boxes, men are going to come and put all our boxes into a truck and drive it to our new home in San Diego, we are going to drive for a very long time, etc.). Yesterday Jack made a comment about his trains being at his new home and today he said several times, "New home, Mommy? Daddy, Jack, Sandie, Barry, Mommy going to new home." I am thrilled that his little mind is able to wrap around this upheaval of his life.

I was planning to post some pictures, but can't find the cable for my camera to upload them. And I'm too tired to look for it anymore. Next time.

5 comments:

THE MERRILL FAMILY said...

Glad to hear that things are going smoothly. Keep us posted -- especially of photos during your stop on Rt. 66!

Talk to you soon!
B

Hunca Munca said...

Thanks for sharing your journey. Sounds like Jack is doing great! Congrats on Ian's promotion too - very happy for you.

E.M. Herbert said...

I hope the rest of your trip is smooth. My next move (possibly in December) will be #14 for me. I can empathize! San Diego sounds like it would be a fun place to live.

Anonymous said...

Hey I want more details on your trip to Georgia! The kids playing in the pool, eating cake, come on now! Only one sentence! :) We miss you already. Emily keeps asking when we are going to get on the airplain. "As soon as Mommy gets her happy medicine,honey!" Safe Travels. Love-Georgia Family

Anonymous said...

Love reading your posts! Just wish your path took you through Michigan!! Can't help but think about your visit a year ago...

Congrats, Ian on the promo!

Love to you all. Kiss those cute little boy cheeks & tell him Aunt Vickie said to!