Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The Petrified Forest and Beyond!

After Amarillo we headed to New Mexico for a night and onto Phoenix. We were able to stop at the Petrified Forest during our drive on Saturday and had a nice visit there. Jack thought all the rocks were cool and kept trying to put small ones in his pocket. We had to keep explaining to him that they needed to live at the park for other people to see, they were just for looking. A very hard concept for a little boy! If you have never been to the Petrified Forest, you must visit. It is really incredible.

My family live in Arizona for a summer when I was younger and we visited the Petrified Forest. I remembered the video we watched that explained who the trees turned into rocks and watched the same viedo this time around. I also remember being bored as we drove in the car as a child, but now know it's only 28 miles through the park and I got to be the adult pointing out the hills and rocks.

It was hot, hot, hot! But so beautiful! If you look close, you can see the baby bunny that we spotted inside this petrified tree. Jack spent the rest of the day looking for more bunnies.

Jack finally took a short nap in the car, his first on this whole trip so we drove as far as we could. We got south of Phoenix when he awoke and not too happy. Luckily, we were able to get some pizza delivered relatively fast so that Jack could eat. Then we swam in the pool. Jack loves the pool. He also loves jumping off the side of the pool and putting his whole head under water. He holds his breath, but it sure scares me! He has no fear of the water so we have to watch him close!


When we fell asleep that night, we were so happy to know we had only 1 day of driving left. We were so tired, we were all asleep before 9 pm, and I woke up bright-eyed and ready to go...not my usual demeanor in the morning! It was Father's Day so I made Ian breakfast (in the waffle iron in the hotel breakfast). I did dished too, carried them and placed them in the trash; Ian was delighted with this special treatment. I even told him I'd drive first for a few minutes. What a lucky man! (I actually drove for a few hours)

We have stayed in so many hotels on this trip, which means lots of loading and unloading of suitcases. Ian would make 3 or 4 trips to get our stuff in (suitcase or 2, Jack's pack and play, Sandie's food and blanket), but when I loaded the car in Amarillo I got a luggage cart! Ian decided that was a good idea and used one when we left our hotel south of Phoenix.

Suitcase, check. Pack-n-play, check. Dinosaur from the Petrified Forest, check. Sippy cup, check. Adorable little boy, check!


We arrived in San Diego with no bumps, bruises, or dents. I am pretty proud of that! We checked into our house on Monday and are settling in. I know I will have many adventures of to share of squeezing a house into a what-is-called-a-house-but-is-really-a-small-apartment-with-a-garage.

2 comments:

THE MERRILL FAMILY said...

So glad to see photos of you enjoying your journey west -- I knew it wouldn't be all driving.

Should be interesting to see what new tricks Jack has to teach Garrett this fall. I might need to introduce him to the pool before then so I'm prepared.

Talk to you soon!
~Beckie

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you made it safely! We'll talk to you soon. I can't wait to see pictures of your new house! --Carla