Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Adventures in Potty Training

If you have ever tried to teach a child to use a toilet, you know how challenging that can be! We are headed into that adventure in our house. I'm not sure I am ready for it, but Jack has certainly been showing signs...waking up dry for naps, wanting to sit on the potty, and telling us when he's stinky. Part of me is so ready to leave the diapers and move on to the next step, but another part desperately wants to hold onto my baby. Not that I want to be changing poopy diapers for the rest of my life, but I know that Jack is turning into a big boy and I am really starting to see that the baby we brought home 2 years ago is slowly fading away.


Jack has been showing signs for a few months that he is ready to move out of diapers, but I have been putting it off. I felt that it would be useless to have him using the potty is we were going to be putting him in a car for a couple weeks and completely uprooting his life. I figured he'd regress and it'd making the whole process that much longer. It's possible that he would have been fine, but I really didn't have a deep desire for cleaning accidents in the car several times a day. So here we are, mostly settled in our new house and getting ready to tackle this adventure!


Ian and I have been building a potty-training arsenal consisting of books, stickers for a chart, and M&Ms. We have bought several potty-related books, and our favorite is Everyone Poops by Taro Gomi. It's part picture book part biology text. Jack loves it, and I find it entertaining...which is good since I'm reading it several times a day! I also recommend No Potty! Yes Potty! by Emily Bolam. Jack loves telling us that monkeys, bears, and elephants don't sit on the potty, but little boys do! Our stash of M&Ms for rewards has remained untouched thus far. Jack is very eager to get some "chok-lut" and reminds me that if he is successful he needs one; I know it won't be long and I'll be doling out M&Ms several times a day to my almost-big-boy. We put a big blue poster on that wall in the bathroom so Jack can put a sticker on it every time he makes a deposit, it is titled "Jack's Potty Score". My thinking is it will help him see how many times he has gone and will hopefully encourage him to want to add more to the chart. So far the M&Ms have been the bribe, er I mean, reward he has talked about the most.

So we are prepared (I hope) to help Jack move to the next step in Toddler-hood. We are expecting wet carpets and clothes and probably some tears, but mostly we are expecting success (eventually) from our Little Man!

3 comments:

Hunca Munca said...

You sound like you are much more prepared than we were! It's fun to hear about other parents doing this for the first time. I'm sure you will be dispensing M&Ms very soon! They really motivate Alex!

By the way, don't feel guilty about "bribing" - as I heard one wise person say, bribing is paying someone to do something illegal. Rewarding a kid who does the right thing is perfectly appropriate...and after all, we all get paychecks for doing our jobs, right? Rewards are good!

Keep us posted with Jack's progress!

Sarah

genderist said...

My parents used a toy on top of the refrigerator... and we could only play with it after we used the potty.

THE MERRILL FAMILY said...

Gotta love a book titled Everyone Poops! Elena's new favorite is by the same author and has something to do with everyone has nostrils -- she actually tries to pick the noses in the book!

So glad to hear the potty training is going well. Gives me hope for our adventures yet to begin, but starting (G is staying dry during naps now!).

Is it Oct yet? Garrett keeps calling Jack for a play date.

~Beckie