Thursday, September 27, 2007

Laughter is the Best Medicine

You can’t laugh and be afraid at the same time—of anything.~Stephen Colbert, Parade Magazine

When I started my journey through cancer, I was afraid...terrified even. My husband was in Iraq and I had cancer. A very treatable one, but the "C-word" nonetheless. The first few weeks after diagnosis were rough. I laughed very little and talked to very few people. When I was finally able to cope with having cancer it was freeing. I wasn't going to let this thing beat me, I wasn't going to let it take over my life. So send in the clowns!

I honestly think that my ability to deal with having cancer was because I tried to laugh through the whole thing. I couldn't put my finger on what it was about laughing at cancer that was so nice, until I read Parade Magazine this past weekend. There was an interesting story about Stephen Colbert, from The Colbert Report. I love the very last line in the story (the above quote), because you can't be afraid if you are laughing. I couldn't be afraid of cancer if I was always saying, "Na na na na boo boo!"

So I started trying to find ways to poke fun at cancer and find the humor in it. I now have many names for my scar: Pez-head, Zipper, my permanent smile, Cut-throat. Would I be like Spiderman after I received the radioactive iodine treatment? (Unfortunately I have not yet discovered any superpowers) Would I glow in the dark after said treatment? I was hoping for something fun, but nope. It has turned out that each time Ian has deployed he has returned early, because of me having cancer-related surgery (or being diagnosed), we are 3 for 3 with deployments and early returns. Hopefully we make it through an entire deployment sometime, but until then I'll enjoy my favorite joke, "Oh, go on that deployment, Honey, but I know exactly what to do to get you home early!"

3 comments:

genderist said...

Cancer?
I hardly know her!

ian said...

Maybe getting me home is your superpower?

Hunca Munca said...

I love this post. I forgot to reply to you the other day, but thanks for asking about my sister (with thyCA). She is doing fine, the surgery went well, and but she's tired. I'm sure she could use some laughs. I laughed at Ian's comment above! Great one!

Sarah