Thursday, December 27, 2007

I'ts December 28th in Korea...

And that means I have a 3 year old!

As I celebrate my son's birthday, I cannot help but to think of the woman who carried him for 9 months and the man who stood by her side. Did she hug her belly on Christmas Day knowing the child she carried would soon be born? Did they whisper secrets to their son? Did they know what joy they were bringing to our family by making such a huge sacrifice?

All this week I have been thinking about Jack's birthparents and what a difficult decision they made. Because of their hardship, Ian and I were able to become parents. I am grateful for their sacrifice and I hope that we will raise a son that all four of us will be proud of. So many days I think I do not deserve this wonderful child, and I am saddened that his first parents are not able to be with him and enjoy the son we share.
So as Jack turns 3, I wish for his birthparents to know how loved he is by us and for Jack to know how loved he is by all of us.
Saengil chuka haeyo, Seung Joon-ah!

8 comments:

THE MERRILL FAMILY said...

Elena has been running around the house yelling, "BIRTHDAY, JACK!!!" The four of us can't wait to celebrate your special day together tomorrow!

The Benninghoff Family said...

What a change from that chubby-cheeked little baby who came home 2 and a half years ago! Such a sweet little man...we miss you guys so much!

Teacher Mom said...

What a handsome young man!! Happy Birthday Jack! I have enjoyed 3 much more with Ella than I did the terrible 2's and I hope you enjoy it just as much as I am.

genderist said...

Happy Birthday, Jack!!!

(And happy new year to Mom and Dad!)

Hunca Munca said...

Happy birthday to Jack!

I too feel deeply grateful, and undeserving, as a mom of two children who bring me joy every day - and it's all possible only because of a birth mother's (and father's) sacrifice. It's hard to express that feeling, but you did a good job here.

Jack is clearly loved! Great pictures! Happy birthday sweet boy - and enjoy the THREES!

Sarah

E.M. Herbert said...

Happy Belated Birthday to Jack and a very Happy New Year to all of you!

새해 복 많이 받으세요!

Pico said...

Happy Birthday to the Birthday Boy! What a fun occasion. We miss you all. Love, Pico and the gang in Charlotte

Anonymous said...

Bonjour! I just discovered your blog and i love reading you. It,s funny that my daughter celebrated her third birthday on dec. 30th and she came home on june first in 2005...maybe our children were friend in Korea?!! She was with SWS.

Have a great day with your beautiful "young men"!!!

Marie-Claude
Min Jee,s mother in Quebec, Canada