Wednesday, April 09, 2008

5 Years

Today is a bittersweet day for me. Five years ago today I heard those awful words for the first time, "You have cancer." There are few things in life more traumatizing to hear. And add on top that Ian had been in Iraq for 3 months, during the invasion.

Needless to say, I approach this day with a bit of sorrow.

But it's been five years! And I'm here! There was never a doubt that I wouldn't be, as papillary thyroid carcinoma is rarely fatal; but that slight chance was always pecking at the back of my head. And I didn't think that Ian and I would be parents at my 5 year mark of Survivorship.

And here we are with a sweet 3 year old son and an adorable 15 month old waiting for us in Korea. Both boys are nothing short of a miracle.

And now I am approaching a new phase in my Survivorship. One that includes fewer doctor appointments. I had appointments with each of my new doctors here recently. I have met with them a few times (I had a scan last Fall, it was clean), but I knew I was approaching the point where we could lengthen the amount of time between appointments. It gets a bit tiresome to go in just for them to feel my neck, check my labs, and tell me to come back in 3 months. It's been going on for 5 years. I expected that point to be to be at the end of this year after my scan, so when my endocrinologist told me to call him in October to schedule my scan I just about fell off the chair.

"October?! That's like 8 months away!"

What am I going to do with all my free time?

Hmm...I think I'll be spending time with my boys and enjoying being doctor free, even if it's just for 8 months.

Happy doctor-free Cancerversary to me!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy 5th!! I too am a thyroid cancer survivor. They found mine during my pre-adoption physical for our son Aidan. I was only 28 at the time, so I don't routinely go in for physicals. It will be 3 years for me this October. If we hadn't been adopting, I wonder how long it would have been before it was detected. Strangely, when I visited the thyroid doctor before surgery, he couldn't even feel anything that seemed off. Well, I found your blog on the Holt blog website and have you RSS'd into my mailbox. I am on the Holt BB mostly lurking because I don't take the time to keep up with everyone. But I saw your message and wanted to congratulate you!! Jaci

Judy said...

What an anniversary!! :)

Hunca Munca said...

Happy anniversary! How good it is to see you enjoying life, in full swing as a parent and "expecting" again. :-) Enjoy your next 8 doctor-free months!!

genderist said...

Happy Cancerversary -- keep on keeping on!

ian said...

Happy cancerverisary sweetie, I love you!!!