Sunday, February 24, 2013

Hear it from an Oncology Nurse

Running is going well! I am slowly building up my miles so I am ready for 13.1 miles on April 28th. As the date approaches, I am becoming more excited to be out running in that purple jersey for a good cause! Each and every time I see an email notice that a donation has been made, I am so thankful for the contribution and the resources you are giving Leukemia and Lymphoma Society to be able to reach more Survivors.

As for fundraising, honestly I have hit a tough spot. I was disappointed to not make my first goal of 50% by Valentine's Day. I was about $200 short. But I know that there are some friends and family out there that have not yet taken the time to help out the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. If that's you, don't wait! I need to get to $3400 to get to the starting line and have been praying that more people choose to support me and LLS.

I also must mention that I now have VA Runner supporting me with fundraising as well! They have graciously allowed me to have a donation jar at their checkout and each of their wonderful employees is helping spread the word. I am thrilled to have their support and not be in this alone as I shared in a post on my fundraising page.

Speaking of the fundraising page, I posted a letter from Dela who is an Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia Survivor. She was a previously honored patient and has benefited first hand from the resources that LLS provides. Today, I am sharing about LLS from the perspective of an Oncology Nurse. I'll let Lara do the talking:
I first met Cynthia in October of 2006 at the Inaugural LIVESTRONG Summit in Austin. This was about six months after my second surgery for thyroid cancer and the scars on my neck were still prominent and screaming red. In the middle of a meeting we had a happy dance to find another young adult thyroid cancer survivor and our friendship was born.

Cynthia is currently raising funds for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society through a program called Team in Training. She's going to run a marathon to benefit LLS in memory of her grandfathers and in honor of a LLS honored hero. Please consider going to Cynthia's fundraising page and chipping in a few dollars to help her meet her goal.

What's that? You want to know more before you donate? Well, it just so happens that I'm a oncology nurse who can give you the scoop on LLS.

The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society is my favorite of all of the cancer support organizations because as an oncology nurse I see every day how they help my patients diagnosed with leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and myelodysplastic syndromes. Here are some bullet points why:
  • LLS funds real research that directly impacts survivors. There are a lot of fruity research studies for cancers, but LLS research grants go to only the best.
  • LLS supplies FREE info and counseling to survivors and their caregivers about the disease process, treatment, side effects, finances, just about anything they never knew they needed.
  • LLS provides real support! They have an excellent "First Connection" program that matches new survivors to a seasoned survivor of their disease. They also have support groups- and provide group facilitators (community members- social workers and oncology nurses) with education to enhance group experience.
  • LLS has a program to help young survivors return to school after long absences.
  • LLS provides financial aid and copy assistance programs to help ease the financial burden of a diagnosis.
  • LLS has a fantastic advocacy program to encourage state and federal support of bills that directly impact survivors.
  • Did I mention that ALL of their services are FREE to survivors of blood cancers?
  • Also, it's worth noting the LLS is a Better Business Bureau accredited charity. Any donation you make will be tax deductible.

Great. So now you've bought-in to LLS. What about Cynthia?
  • Cynthia is a mother to three adorable boys and wife to an incredibly awesome (and super hot!) Marine. She doesn't halfway do things. Her life is all about supporting her family, her country, and making the world a better place.
  • Cynthia is a serious mother runner. She doesn't halfway do things, and that includes half marathons. She has finished every half marathon she ever entered and this is her first  half marathon she's running to raise funds for LLS.
  • Cynthia is a survivor of two different cancers and know the difference education and support makes.
  • Cynthia is just really awesome.

Now here's where your part comes in: she can't do this without our help. Please click the link below and support her in this marathon. Even a $3 donation will help!

Please consider keeping Cynthia in your light and prayers for injury-free training! And keep our cancer survivors and families in your prayers because they need all the help they can get.

Finally, please share this message. Personally there's no way I can train to run a marathon right now, but I can support someone who is running for a great cause.

Thanks for your time and for supporting Cynthia!

Thanks, Lara! Now that there is a little over a month until fundraising ends, I hope each of you will take the time to make the different in the life of a blood cancer Survivor!

No comments: